I seem to have racked up errors this weekend. Here are the lessons I've learned:
- Check race details before setting off. I drove to Llandegla on Friday night, only to find that the second Dash in the Dark had been cancelled due to adverse weather conditions.
- Ensure adequate nutrition. No milk at all in my parents' house meant that breakfast of cereal and/or porridge was off. I replaced these with a Cadbury's Caramel egg from a petrol station.
- Don't jump on your equipment. A boot / buckle / floor interface resulted in pieces of broken rucksack plastic all over the car park before I even set off.
- You can tie yourself into your rucksack if the waist strap buckle is broken. But it's hard to get back out again. Very hard.
- Weather forecasts can be wrong. This weekend, for example, where cold temperatures and lots of snow will in fact turn out to be boggy and very warm.
- Website 'location' features aren't necessarily evil. It turns out a friend was in Cwm Idwal at the same time as me this morning, but neither of us realised. Maybe some advertising beforehand wouldn't have been a bad idea.